Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Technically Speaking

Dear Jason Adair the Unlicensed Therapist

I have a problem. I have a very important video blog I need to start posting, but the camera folks who agreed to help me several months ago have dropped the ball faster than the 49ers. Can you help me?

Everett Nolan


Dear Everett,
The first piece of advice I'm going to give you is gong to be a bitter pill for you to swallow; for the love of (insert name of deity you pray to here), stop using sports analogies. You're better than that Everett. As for your video problems I totally understand and sympathize with you. Here's the deal, you don't need "camera folks" to do an important video blog, or vlog as the kids call em'. The worst thing you can do, productively speaking, is to get technical people involved. The more high tech your equipment, the more time it's going to take to shoot and edit your important footage. I've found that when I need to get something done effectively and efficiently, the best tool for the job is my digital camera. It takes decent mpg movies which I can quickly download and edit on my computer. This video, is one I shot on my lunch break with my little Sony CyberShot. Yes, the quality is not HDTV, but it's better than most vlogs that are shot with web cams. And compared to the project I did before it with camera folks, it took no time at all. (the video won a vegan pot pie in a sketch video competition.) People that watch video on the internet are used to low tech presentation. What they want is interesting content. A perfect example is the greatest vlog I've ever seen, authored by a thirteen year old pop culture critic/freakscene who calls himself sexman. Keep it simple and wow the internet with your wonderful important video blog, unless you're making another lame ass sports vlog. In that case disregard the above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JATUT~
Everett seemed to be treading water, or at least in need of a pit stop, if not a full time out. I admired the way you coached him, lobbing a few practice throws his way, giving him a little batting practice, if you will. Which will help him not to strike out when he lobs his hail-mary pass out into the blogosphere. I will continue to touch base with this blog, because your advice was a home run!

Anonymous said...

Those of us who do not follow sports have no f*&#ing ideal what you're saying.